When injecting Botox, or filler we know that unfortunately sometimes bruising happens. Tiny vessels can hide under the skin and despite our best efforts sometimes a small bruise still occurs.
The good news is that Dr. Richards and I have recently started using a blunt tipped cannula for fillers such as Juvederm, Restylane, Voluma, Sculptra, and PRP because the cannula can not penetrate tiny vessels under the skin as a needle would. We can now treat a lot of different areas with little or no bruising. If we are lucky no one will know that you had anything done…except you’ll look well rested and more youthful.
Any bruise from a needle poke will resolve typically in 3-7 days. Application of make-up (especially a peach tint) should be able to cover up any mark or discoloring.
Ideally, there should be no down time with any of these procedures…..however if you wanted one of these procedures done, and tomorrow is your wedding, I would not recommend doing it.
There are several things that patients can do to hopefully help prevent and minimize any potential bruising.
- Stop all anticoagulants.
- Avoid all anti-inflammatory medications for 7, but prefer 10 days, prior to the procedure. These include aspirin, ibuprofen, Naprosyn, aleve, advil, motrin, etc…
- No alcohol for 2 day before and the day of procedure.
- No fish oil for 1 week prior.
- Stop all vitamin E and any other herbal supplements…especially anything that starts with an “F” or “G”
- Start Arnika Forte capsules morning and night…the day before, the day of the procedure, and the day after.
If a bruise does develop, we can help it fade a little faster by using our V-Beam laser to zap the bruise and speed up its resolution.
I hope this calms any anxieties and we’ll get to see you soon in our office.