Resveratrol is a potent antioxidant found in some of our favorite foods including blueberries, cranberries and of course red wine and dark chocolate.
When ingested, resveratrol works on a cellular level to slow down the aging process by stimulating healthy cell proliferation. It bonds to some metal ions preventing them from forming free radicals and helps healthy collagen to grow. Applied topically, resveratrol helps protect the skin’s surface, helps to neutralize environmental toxins, and brightens a tired-looking complexion. It also has significant skin-calming properties that may help minimize the look of redness. In addition, resveratrol is known to help hydrate the skin and improve the texture.
So this Valentine’s Day remember to treat your skin and body well and enjoy a little dark chocolate and red wine! Dr. Richards’ famous red wine dark chocolate truffles recipe below will do just that!
Dr. R’s Red Wine Dark Chocolate Truffles
- 16 oz Dark chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 2/3 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 c. red wine (see post for recommendations), room temperature
- 1 TB unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
- In a medium bowl, heat the chocolate in the microwave, 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time until the chocolate is fully melted.
- In a small saucepan, heat the heavy cream just until film begins to form
- Pour the heavy cream in the bowl with the melted chocolate and stir, slowly, until fully mixed. If the chocolate starts to stiffen, microwave another 30 seconds as needed and continue stirring.
- Once the cream and chocolate are combined, slowly stir in the red wine and butter. Once fully mixed, cover tightly and let stand for 30 minutes at room temperature before transferring to the refrigerator. Chill until firm – at least 4- 6 hours.
- Line baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Place the cocoa powder in a shallow bowl.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons of the chilled mixture and roll into a ball. Working quickly, coat it in cocoa powder. Shake off the excess before placing on the baking sheet.
- Keep chilled until ready to serve.